The HOPEFUL Smiles™ Program
Imagine how different your life would be if you lacked a very basic asset – your smile. Though most of us take our smiles for granted, many of our clients here at Attitudes & Attire® are not so fortunate.
Simply greeting someone with a smile can be daunting for women with missing or damaged teeth. The cause of the damage varies, but its impact remains the same: women who suffer from an impaired ability to smile are hindered in both professional and social settings.
To address this problem, we founded HOPEFUL Smiles™ in 2006. HOPEFUL Smiles™ offers restorative dental care to qualifying Attitudes & Attire® clients. In addition to demonstrating need for dental services, clients must complete the Core or Boots to Heels Attitudes & Attire® programs and volunteer with us.
Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors and our talented team of dental professionals, we have restored the smiles of over 200 women.
HOPEFUL Smiles™ Program Eligibility Requirements
Attitudes & Attire® clients who participate in the HOPEFUL Smiles™ program must complete the following requirements:
- Attend the first, second and third workshops at Attitudes & Attire®.
- Have missing or impaired teeth that are visible when they smile.
- Complete 20 hours of volunteer service at Attitudes & Attire® within 6 months of completing the third workshop.
- Demonstrate they are currently employed or actively involved in a job search.
- Have a minimum of 12 months of sobriety if addiction has been an issue in the past.
- Arrange own transportation to all dental appointments.
- Pay a $25 non-refundable application fee.
- Attend scheduled appointments on time and adhere to the dentist’s instructions. Clients who are unable to follow these rules will be asked to leave the program immediately.
- Patience and gratitude are determining factors for selection into the HOPEFUL Smiles™ program.
Attitudes & Attire®
DCDS Foundation Board approved an affilitation with Attitudes & Attire® to provide speakers for educational workshops and help raise awareness of volunteer opportunities for the organizations initiatives, including the HOPEFUL Smiles, Boots to Heels and Veterans Serving Veterans.
Attitudes & Attire® is a nonprofit agency dedicated to promoting personal growth for women seeking self-sufficiency. The organization serves women emerging from difficult and desperate situations, such as domestic violence, addiction, incarceration, illness and chronic unemployment.
What is Veterans Serving Veterans?
The Veterans Serving Veterans program seeks to pair HOPEFUL Smiles clients in the Boots to Heels program with veteran dentists.
Currently fifty-five dentists in the Dallas area have agreed to provide mission dentistry in their offices, but more are needed.
Ready to volunteer?
Encourage your dental colleagues to donate his or her services to HOPEFUL Smiles™, or share his or her contact information with Lori Dees, DCDS Foundation Manager, at [email protected] or call 972-386-5741 ext. 228.
For more information, visit the HOPEFUL Smiles™ website.